Monday, August 23, 2010

thirty five....

35...number worn by rising NBA star Kevin Durant.

35...HP's first pocket calculator..HP35.

F35...F35 lightning II is the world's most advanced multi-role fighter.



 On to ramping the miledge up for the last time. We will go about 2 1/2 weeks at high miledge then we will taper in hopes that the legs will be fresh for the long ride.  I had a low miledge week on the bike last week but this week should be good (200+). Sometimes we need that opportunity to recover from working hard. Recovery is a crucial part of our sustainability in working out and ministry. There were times in Jesus' life that he went away to pray, to prepare for the next part of his ministry.
  I believe it's the same for us, we must recover properly.  Even the elite marathon runners don't run high miledge week after week. In preparation for an upcoming race they build, taper, etc in hopes that their legs will run well that day. As a runner and endurance athlete I can tell you that tired legs make for a long race and tough training.
                                  Tired legs make for a long race. Recover
  The last half-marathon I ran I went into it thinking I was not going to do very well. I had training properly but the weeks leading up to it I had a swollen achilles which put me in the pool for the 3 weeks leading up to the race. I went in not having much expectation as far as time, I figured if I completed it that would be accomplishment in itself. By mile 10 I felt great, I knew if I kept that pace then I could set a personal best...which I did. All because I was running on fresh legs. I had trained properly, eaten right, and just rested my legs.  You can run on tired legs and feel like you are making headway but it will only last so long..recovery is crucial to sustain your training level.
  Spiritually it's the same. You must recover. Jesus says that we are the branch and He is the vine. Our livelihood comes from him. We can sustain ourselves for awhile alone, but it will only last for so long. Recover and drop the hammer!

John 15:5
"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment