Saturday, September 4, 2010

What's success?...23 days to go.

23...number of arguably the greatest basketball player to play the game....Michael Jordan.



Recently I ran a 5k race. I hadn't run in a while and wasn't expecting to do all that great. At the beginning of the race a person sped out to the lead. About 3/4 of our way through the first mile we began to climb a slight and long incline. On the incline I caught and passed them. As I passed them they said "Good Job". I was thankful for the nice gesture but I was thinking..I haven't done anything yet..I haven't even made it to the first mile!
Preparing for our trip many people are saying things like "dude, this is awesome", "Man i couldn't do that"... and all the time I'm thinking "I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN EITHER!".
I haven't done anything yet!
It seems like we judge success in the Christian world the same way. We think we are successful by the things we DON'T do than the things we DO. What other organization or business judges success like that. Imagine if apple judged success based on how many ipads they didn't sell or how many iphones they didn't sell because the initial ones had horrible phone reception. Let's be careful as believers not to focus on what we don't do but instead focus on what we do. Is the success in our youth ministry based on keeping students from getting pregnant, doing drugs, or smoking? Is success in our adult ministry keeping people in the seats, filling the pews? I believe success is in making disciples. When we deliberately seek out people and show them how to study the bible, how to pray then in return the things that we shouldn't do we don't. 
Judge success based on what you do, not what you don't.


Weekly miledge: 
Running: 27.5
Biking: 115

No comments:

Post a Comment