Tuesday, September 14, 2010

13 DAYS

13.... my lucky number and the date of my birth. (Born on Friday the 13th)

13... number of guns in a gun salute.

13... number worn by Wilt Chamberlain.



The reality is beginning to set in and everything is beginning to get packed and put together. One thing that's going to be hard is being away from my wife for the duration of the trip.  I'm sure the excitement of riding will make it easier but come half-way through the trip those long mile days are going to seem really long. But thanks to SKYPE we should be able to talk a good bit while we are on our trip!
The more I think about it I know we will be far apart physically but I know this is something that God wants and He will take care of both of our needs. We will have plenty of time to talk on the phone, etc.

I find myself the same way in my relationship with Christ. Even though I may not "attend" church on a Sunday but I'm doing something to serve Him am I not just as close if not closer to Christ? Just because positionally we are in God's house  doesn't mean we are "close" to God. We can be in the church, we might even attend regularly for weeks, months or years but still our hearts are far away from God. Just by attending church won't give us the passion God desires we have, checking the box won't fulfill the void in our lives.

God desires our passion not our position.

Remember the story of the prodigal son and the older brother. The older brother stayed close to God the entire time but his heart was far away from God's heart. God's heart showed forgiveness, the older brother had bitterness. The younger brother's heart showed conviction, asked forgiveness, and had passion.  Be careful, we can get caught up in thinking our position is what God wants,  we think it's our position that brings us close to God. The reality it's our passion is what God wants and it's our passion that drives us to act on faith and see God work through our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment